Friday, August 22, 2014

Why Maria Sharapova Skips the Gym



While we are used to seeing Maria Sharapova battle it out on the tennis court with her racket and athletic wear, she stepped up her sartorial game in a nude, eyelet Marc Jacobs midi dress for a greater challenge. Last night, the 27-year-old tennis star joined the likes of Karolina Kurkova, Gisele Bündchen, and Cindy Crawford as the face of the CFDA Fashion Targets Breast Cancer initiative for the organization's 20th anniversary. In the campaign, Sharapova wears designs from The Row, Derek Lam, Calvin Klein Collection and Jennifer Fisher (all CFDA designers) as she raises awareness, not to mention funds, in support of the fight against breast cancer. Here, we talked to Sharapova about her role in the campaign, how to look camera-ready after a workout, and why she ditches the gym.
How did you come to partner with CFDA and the fight against breast cancer?


I've known the CFDA family for quite a few years now from being in fashion and the shows. It was the 20th anniversary of the breast cancer campaign, and they had asked me to be a part of it. For me, it is an honor. It has been headlined by models the last several years, and I really enjoyed being a part of something like that.


Why is it important for everyone, including those in the fashion industry, to join the fight against breast cancer?


I think it's all about the awareness, about spreading the word. Obviously events and campaigns like this really raise that type of awareness. I think that's why so many incredible people in the industry are here tonight to celebrate the fight against it and all the people who have come through the fight.



We're excited to see you at the upcoming U.S. Open. How do you prepare beauty-wise before a tennis match?


I keep it very minimal on the court. I've worn sunscreen since I was a junior playing in Florida, so that's a big part of my beauty routine. I put it on in the morning and reapply when I play. I always use Supergoop! products. I also try to keep good care of my hair because I'm in the sun all the time. I try to let it down and not have it be in a ponytail all the time.


When you're not playing tennis, how do you like to stay fit?


I like to exercise outdoors. I love being outside—just getting outdoors and feeling the environment around you and not having to listen to music. When I'm in a gym, I always have to put my headphones on because everything else around me bugs me. But when I'm outdoors it's just such a nice, peaceful environment. I've been blessed to live close to ocean, so I always go there even if it's just for core exercises.


Any advice for looking great after a grueling workout like tennis when heading straight to an event or business meeting?


I guess finding the quickest possible way to cool down, right? I usually keep a cool Evian mist in my fridge, and when I come home, I always spritz it on my face, my shoulders, and my body to cool off as fast as I can.


Lastly, how has designing for Nike influenced your on-court style? And vice versa?


There's a very fine line with pushing boundaries, but yet keeping it very mainstream as well. I like to be able to mix and match my pieces. I try to push it to another level whether it's with details, materials, or fabrics. Fabric is really important from an athlete's perspective. We're really the testers out there in terms of sweat and performance.


No comments:

Post a Comment